If you are thinking of moving to Scotland from England, you’ve come to the right place. In our latest blog we consider a few top tips and give a number of pointers to help make your move journey hassle and stress free.
Moving to Scotland from England – 10 highlights
1. If you are a UK citizen moving from England to Scotland, you are not required to fill out any special paperwork or meet any predefined requirements. However, as Scotland is still part of the UK and has no devolved powers for immigration, the UK government retains complete control.
2. Scotland remains a small but open economy and accounts for about 5% of the UK’s export revenue. Its main industries are Fishing, Food & Drink, Forestry, Oil & Gas, Renewable Energy, Textiles, and Tourism. The Scottish economy is expected to grow by around 4% in 2022.
3. There are many exciting work opportunities for those looking to move to Scotland from England, and this spans a range of industry sectors and roles.
4. Scotland offers a wonderful work-life balance. With a number of strong work sectors, spectacular walks, runs and hikes, a vibrant arts and cultural environment and much more, Scotland has much to offer those looking to work hard and play hard.
5. When it comes to where to live in Scotland, you’ll find that you are spoilt for choice when looking for your perfect property in Scotland to call home. Renting a house in Scotland is relatively straightforward and cost effective, and if you are looking to buy a property in Scotland then the good news is that house prices here are, on average, lower than anywhere else in the UK. There are many estate agents in Scotland to talk to who will help you find your perfect home. Here are just a few:
Hamptons, the home experts
McEwan Fraser Legal in the Highlands
There are also plenty of university student accommodation options in Scotland.
6. While the weather in Scotland doesn’t have a great reputation, this is slightly unfair. In fact, the weather in Scotland really is quite moderate and changeable, and rarely is it extreme. However, if you want to experience ‘four seasons in one day’, you just need to travel 20 or so minutes in any direction and you’ll find the weather to be quite different at each stop.
7. When it comes to education in Scotland, this country really can be proud. It has led the world in a commitment to excellence in education for centuries, offering first-class, world-leading education which is accessible to all. Scotland has its own qualification framework that is separate from the one set for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Scotland follows the Curriculum for Excellence. There are also a number of world class universities in Scotland.
8. Healthcare in Scotland is excellent. The NHS in Scotland is managed by the Scottish Government. If you are employed or self-employed in Scotland you are entitled to free healthcare from the NHS, as is your spouse and your immediate family.
9. Safety and inclusivity are very important to the Scots, who have a strong reputation for being warm and friendly to everyone. Although Scotland has a strong national identity, more than 150 languages are spoken in Scotland, from Punjabi to Polish, and Cantonese to Gaelic, reflecting a modern and inclusive Scotland. With a dedicated police force in Scotland working within communities to tackle crime, Scotland is a warm and safe place to live.
10. There are plenty of options when it comes to getting around in Scotland. The extensive road network makes driving around Scotland safe and accessible. Scotland is also serviced by several international airports that make it easy to travel to and from Scotland to many global locations. The efficient and extensive rail network in Scotland not only serves cross-country links throughout Scotland, but also offers regular connections to the rest of the UK. And with 95% of the population of Scotland living within a five minute walk of a bus stop, it’s efficient and affordable to get around Scotland by city bus and by coach.
Moving to Scotland from the UK – The move process
If you’re thinking of moving to Scotland from England, Doree Bonner’s expert removals services, professional packing and state-of-the-art storage, offer peace of mind, knowing that you’re in good hands and your transition will be a smooth one.
To find out more about how Doree Bonner International can assist with your upcoming move and the various services we provide, please get in touch. You can also request a free quote online.