Sitting at the top of the leaderboard for ‘Quality of Life’ in 2022, it’s no wonder that Australia is a popular destination of choice for professionals, families and those looking to retire. A thriving economy, spectacular landscapes and a diverse population, has seen overseas migration numbers now forecast to increase to a net inflow of 180,000 in 2022‐23, and 213,000 in 2023-24, according to the Australian Government’s Centre for Population report published this year.

But in order to visit and work in Australia, one has to navigate a large number of visa options, to ascertain which one is the most suitable for you. Firstly, to select skilled migrant workers, Australia operates a points-based system. The immigration points test considers the applicant’s age, skilled employment experience, knowledge of the English language, your partner’s credentials (if relevant), and more. The points test for those moving to Australia to work is given through the online system SkillSelect under the Australian Department of Home Affairs and to pass the test, applicants must score 65 or more.

Secondly, one must apply for a visa. Other than visitors from New Zealand, all other nationalities must obtain a visa to visit Australia, and this must be authorised before you arrive in Australia. The visa you will need varies according to your nationality.

For help finding the right visa if you are moving to Australia to work, use the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s Visa Finder.

There are a series of documents you will need when applying for a visa – both if you are merely visiting the country on holiday, or if you are exploring your options when considering moving to Australia to work. These documents include:

  • A valid passport (at least 6 months before the expiration date)
  • A completed Visa Application Form for Australia
  • Visa Fee Paid Receipt – payment must be verified before your visa application can be reviewed. You need to pay for your visa application through an ImmiAccount which is a self service tool which enable you to create, submit, make payments and manage all your online visa applications online
  • One Identity Photograph – note that the Australian visa application photo must follow specific requirements
  • National Identity Card – check with your nearest Australian authorities to find out if this is needed, as it could be dependent on your tyle of visa and the country where you are resident
  • Police Certificate – to fulfil the character requirements. If you don’t pass the character requirements, the Australian government can refuse your application or cancel your visa
  • Civil Certificates – such as your birth certificate, marriage license, divorce papers, etc.
  • Evidence of Financial Means – not only do you need to show evidence of financial means if you are applying for a visa to visit or move to Australia to work (personal bank statements, pay slips, audited accounts, tax records, credit card limit etc), you also need to prove you have access to the money as well
  • Health Insurance – the Australian government strongly recommends that all visitors take out private health insurance before they travel. Adding to this, if you are moving to Australia to work, many Australian visas require you to take out health insurance, with the minimum medical, hospital and ambulance cover
  • Authorised Recipient Form – this is required if you wish to appoint someone to help you with your visa application. The Appointment (or withdrawal) of an authorised recipient form will need to be completed and submitted with your application
  • Evidence of Temporary Stay – this is only needed if you are planning to stay or work in Australia for a short while. If moving to Australia to work for a short while, this may be in the form of a valid work contract or a letter from your employer
  • Detailed Itinerary – including flight tickets, length of stay, places you’ll be visiting, the dates of your visit etc.
  • Proof of Accommodation – this could be a hotel booking, a letter from family or a friend, or a rental agreement stating you have a place do stay for the duration of your trip

If you are moving to Australia for work, you will also need an Employer Permission Letter and a Letter of Invitation.

Adding to this, for a work visa, you will need to provide a CV, a work contract from your employer, if the work is a freelance role, a copy of your schedule, a letter of sponsorship (if your employer is sponsoring you), as well as a copy of your work license.

Employer sponsored visas are hugely beneficial if you are moving to Australia for work, but this requires an Australian-based company to sponsor you.

Applicants with employment on the Short-term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL) are eligible for a Temporary Skilled Shortage (TSS) visa which offers short and medium term options – two years on the short term, 4 years on the medium term. The latter enables employees to apply for permanent residency after three years.

Businesses looking to sponsor a worker from another country on a TSS visa must first obtain a Standard business sponsorship (SBS) which is assessed and agreed by the Australian government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Once approved, it is recommended that you apply for accredited status, as this has significant benefits for your business.

In summary

While moving to Australia to work is very exciting, there is much to consider. Preparation is key when it comes to moving and shipping to Australia, especially if you are moving from the UK to Australia. Not only do you need to focus on your employment and your visa application requirements, but Australia also has strict regulations with regards to shipping and importing into the country.

As one of the UK’s leaders in removals and storage, Doree Bonner has been moving households and businesses to Australia from the UK for many years, so we know what it takes to make your move a smooth and successful one.

From packing and storage options in the UK, to destination services handled by our overseas agents in Australia, we are here to partner with you at every step of your move journey.

Our recommended partner for currency transfers – at excellent rates – is Smart Currency Exchange. They are UK-based and authorised by the FCA. Opening an account with Smart only takes a few minutes, so why do it today? Then you’ll be ready to make international money transfers that are easy, fast and safe. Find out more here.

Learn more about our International Moving services here and get a free online quote. Alternatively, please contact a member of our Doree Bonner team for advice and information relating to your specific requirements when moving to Australia for work. We look forward to hearing from you and to supporting you on your journey.