Offsite furniture storage is a favourable solution when you need to store your furniture for a long time. Whether you are downsizing, preparing to relocate, undergoing a home renovation project, or just want to keep your furniture safe and secure, long term furniture storage can be an ideal option for you.
If you are thinking about long term storage for furniture items, there are various factors to consider such as specialised preparation and packing and, most importantly, choosing the right storage facility with adequate facilities and security measures.
In this article, we provide you with tips on how to choose the right storage facility, prepare your furniture correctly, and maintain the condition of your items while in long term storage.
Here is a complete step-by-step guide to long term furniture storage.
- Furniture storage – Plan ahead
Before you start storing your furniture, you need to plan ahead. First, decide what items you need to store, and make an inventory of all the furniture you will be storing. You should also measure your furniture so you’re aware of the volume required when researching suitable storage options.
- Choose the right furniture storage provider
The next step is to choose the right storage option. There are number of key considerations when choosing the right furniture storage option for you and it’s important to carefully evaluate your needs and preferences before making a decision. Here are some key factors to consider:
- Security: Look for a storage facility that has 24hr security measures in place, including surveillance cameras, security guards, and secure access controls. This will help to protect your furniture from theft and damage.
- Climate control: Storing furniture in a climate-controlled environment is essential to protect your furniture from temperature and humidity fluctuations. This is particularly important for wood furniture. A climate-controlled storage unit will maintain a consistent temperature and humidity level, which can help prevent damage to furniture. Ideally, the temperature in the UK should be between 10-15°C and the humidity level should be between 40-60%. This will help to prevent the wood, for example, from expanding or contracting too much, and ensure the longevity of furniture.
- Professional furniture packing: In addition to climate control, professional furniture wrapping and packing can also help protect your furniture during storage. Trained professionals will use appropriate materials and techniques to ensure that your furniture is properly wrapped and secured, reducing the risk of damage during transportation and storage.
- On-site collection: It is preferable to choose a storage company that will bring the packing containers to your property. The goods for storage can then be loaded directly into your allocated specialist containers. This careful system minimises direct handling of your belongings, greatly reducing the risk of damage.
- Insurance: Find out if the storage provider offers insurance coverage for your furniture while it is in storage. This can provide peace of mind and protect you in the event of any damage or loss.
- Reputation: Look for a storage provider with a good reputation for providing high-quality storage services. Check online reviews, ask for references, and research the provider’s track record before making your decision.
- Cost: Compare prices from different storage providers to ensure that you are getting a fair price for the storage space you need. Always make sure that the prices you are quoted are based on the volume you have, meaning you won’t pay any unnecessary charges for any leftover storage space. Keep in mind that the cheapest option may not always be the best, and that it’s important to prioritise quality and security over cost savings.
- Customer care: In addition, don’t forget to consider the level of customer care offered by the storage provider. Look for a company that is responsive to your needs and concerns, and that provides clear communication and support throughout the storage process.
By considering these factors when choosing the best long-term furniture storage provider for you, you can ensure that your furniture is stored safely and securely for as long as you need it to be.
- Prepare your furniture
Before your furniture goes into storage, you should clean it thoroughly to remove any dirt, dust, or debris that may have accumulated on it. Use a soft cloth or brush to clean any hard surfaces, and vacuum any upholstery or fabric-covered items. If possible, disassemble the furniture to save space, make it easier to store and to reduce the risk of damage during storage. Remember to label and bag any screws or hardware, and tape them to the corresponding piece of furniture.
- Protect your furniture
To protect your furniture during storage, you should wrap it in furniture blankets or bubble wrap. This will help to prevent scratches, dents, and other damage. You should also cover your furniture with a plastic sheet to protect it from dust and moisture, and protect fragile parts of your furniture such as glass, mirrors, or delicate surfaces, by using bubble wrap, packing paper or blankets to protect them from scratches, cracks, or breaks. You can also use corner protectors to prevent any damage to the edges or corners of your furniture.
It is recommended to store wood furniture in a climate-controlled environment to prevent damage. Wood is susceptible to changes in temperature and humidity, which can cause it to warp, crack, or split over time. If wood furniture is stored in an environment that is too hot, cold, damp, or dry, it can suffer damage that may be difficult or impossible to repair.
Furniture storage – A summary
Storing furniture in a professional, highly rated long term storage facility can help to protect your furniture from damage, free up space in your home or office, and provide added convenience and peace of mind.
It’s important to choose a company that has experience in handling furniture and can provide you with the necessary tools and resources to protect your items during storage. A good storage company will provide services to prepare and protect your furniture properly for storage, using high-quality materials and techniques to ensure that your belongings are kept safe and secure. Additionally, respected furniture storage facilities offer climate-controlled units to prevent damage from extreme temperatures and humidity, as well as 24/7 surveillance and monitored access for added security. It’s important to consider these factors when choosing a storage facility for your furniture.
Why choose Doree Bonner International for your long term furniture storage needs?
As well as home relocations and office removals, Doree Bonner International offers a wide range of long term storage solutions for individuals and businesses. Our team of experts can help you determine the best storage unit size and type for your specific needs, as well as provide additional services such as packing and transportation to ensure your items are safely stored.
Expertise and experience: Doree Bonner International has nearly a century of experience in the moving and storage industry. Our team of experts can advise you on the best storage solutions for your specific needs.
Secure facilities: Doree Bonner International has state-of-the-art storage facilities that are equipped with 24/7 CCTV surveillance, fire and burglar alarms, and secure access controls. This ensures that your items are safe and protected at all times.
Climate-controlled storage: Our climate-controlled storage units ensure that your items are protected from temperature and humidity fluctuations, which can cause damage to certain items.
Competitive pricing: At Doree Bonner, you can be assured that you only pay what is needed. Unlike self storage units, our prices are based on the volume you use, meaning you won’t pay unnecessary charges for any unused storage space in our containers. We also offer free, no-obligation quotes to help you make an informed decision.